The legislative process directly impacts the medical profession. The 2002 medical-legal crisis brought painful awareness of how much our profession is affected by politics, how essential it is to be involved, and the price we pay when we let others dictate our future.
To make sure our voices are heard, SCMS physicians are politically involved on both the state and national level. On the national level, SCMS influence comes through the AMA and our representatives in the FMA’s delegation to the AMA. On the state level SCMS works closely on legislative and political issues with the FMA — which does an outstanding job in both arenas.
The following offers background on the legislative process, the SCMS role in that process, the forces working on behalf of SCMS, and how individual physicians can make a difference.
- Report on the 2009 Legislative Session
- Report on the 2008 Legislative Session
- Report on the 2007 Legislative Session
- Report on the 2006 Legislative Session
- SCMS Legislator of the Year Awards
- FMA Annual Meeting Report
- SCMS FMA Resolutions
- SCMS Legislative Committee Activities
- State Senate
- State House
- Contact link to all state legislators
- FMA legislative and lobbying leadership
- Legal/lobbying team
- FMA PAC
- 1,000 Club
- People for a Better Florida
- The FMA PAC staff